The Club was not formed till 1945 although Cairns had been bred in small numbers within Victoria since 1926. Miss Paterson, Mrs Robertson(later Lady Cormack) and Miss Coles being among the earliest pioneers with Miss Grice, Miss M Skene and Mr. Wykes following closely. Dr Skinner, Mrs. Bechervaise, Mr. Dodkyns, Mrs. Esler, Mrs Payne and Miss Keating were all registering Cairns in the late 1920’s and Mrs Light founded the Strathdene kennels in 1933.
During the 1939-45 war Miss Grice, Sister Garrard, Mrs.Cuthbert, Mr. Wykes, Miss M. Skene, Mrs Bechervaise, Mrs. Crook, Mr. Storey, Mr. Prowse, Mr. Seeber, Mr. McBain, Mrs. And Miss Sedgwick and Mrs. Cormack kept the breed going.
On the 22nd September 1945 an inaugural meeting was held attended by 15 people. Carried: That a Cairn Terrier Club be formed in Victoria for the improvement of the breed and following the standard set by British Cairn Terrier Clubs. Agree: That affiliation be sought with the Kennel Control Council and that a constitution be drawn up.
March 1946, the first Puppy Competition was held at the home of Miss Grice, judge Mr J Busst.
September 1947 the first Championship Show with an entry of 33 Cairns, was held at the Melbourne Royal, the judge Mr Soler from New Zealand.
1948 the first Open Parade was held, the judge Miss Margaret Skene.
The Club continues to work to honor the objectives of the Club. Each year the Club holds a Championship Show usually the First Sunday in May and an Open Show usually the First Sunday in December. Judges for these shows are chosen by the Club members. The Club endeavors to regularly bring out an UK Cairn Terrier breed specialist judge.
The Cairn Terrier Club of Victoria exists to help all members and their Cairns be they Champion Companions or Companion Champions.
The Cairn Terrier Club of Victoria is bound under its constitution to work towards the betterment and wider understanding of the breed, to promote and support competition and to educate breeders, pet owners, exhibitors and judges.